Scanning : All the currently received sources should be scanned regularly. Old sources should be scanned only for specific needs. The knowledge about the existing collection and about the items already selected or ordered will help in avoiding duplication at this stage.
Scrutiny : The purpose of scrutiny is to rule out the possibilities of unnecessary duplication. This is done by checking the marked items with the following:
- Items selected earlier, by checking the “Book Selected” card tray.
- Items ordered already, by checking the “Books-on-order” card tray.
- Items already received, by checking the “Books Received” card tray and the “Books-in Process” card tray; and.
- Items available in the library by checking the catalogue.
Recording : The purpose of recording is to make complete data available on each of the provisionally selected documents. The unit card should contain all the essential data elements of the selected items.
Consulting : It should be done at prescribed intervals or as and when needed for placing an urgent order. For this subject lists are typed out from the cards in the “Books Selected” tray. Each list should be forwarded to the concerned subject expert with the request that he should return the list after considering every item and marking his specific recommendation as to whether “approved”, “rejected” or “deferred”. Rejected cards should be removed and disposed off. Cards relating to “Books Approved” should be kept separately. Cards belonging to the “deferred” items may be separately kept in another tray labeled as “Books Deferred”. These items can be presented again to the experts whenever it becomes necessary
Indents Passing : As and when indents are received from experts or departments they must be subjected to the process of scrutiny. Items found already available in the library or on order should be scored out unless additional copies are recommended. Clarification on this point can be sought from the indenter. The following details should be included in the indent Noting Form:
- Number of items recommended.
- Number of items already available or on order.
- Number of items recommended for additional copies.
- Estimated cost of items neither available nor on order.
- Estimated cost of items to be duplicated.
- Total estimated cost.
- Total allotment for the subject/department.
- Amount already appropriated.
- Balance amount available.
- Remarks, if any.
In the light of the above financial report, the indenter would be making suitable adjustments in the items intended or reconfirm the indent.
Sanction Obtaining : For this purpose, separate lists have to be typed out for subjects or categories of documents as per the classification in the Budget Allocation. Necessary financial report should be prepared to accompany the lists including the total estimated cost, total allotment in each case, amount already appropriated, and balance budget available. Sanction is obtained for each list. If any altercation or deletion is made in the list the same should be entered in the respective cards also.